Sunday, January 3, 2010

In other news

I finally got transferred to Sana’a! Hamduliallah! So my last 6 weeks in Yemen shall be up North- finally! I’m pretty excited about it- there's a gym AND a bar! the only sad part is that I’ll be prematurely leaving the people that I’ve been hanging around with for the last year; I thoroughly enjoyed my colleagues in Aden, the students and staff and such- they were what made it possible for me to remain in Yemen for so dang long.
My flight up to Sana'a was awesome. I got to sit in the COCKPIT OF THE PLANE! With the pilot! It was completely cool- I've never done anything like that before, especially on a commercial airline full of passengers! I got to ask a million questions, and poke buttons, and wear a headset. I kinda felt like a big deal. It was really interesting to talk to the pilot about living and working here- to talk to a fellow American, non-teacher. As we came to the final descent we hear the US Military over the radio confirming that we were a commercial airliner- not a terrorist. The pilot also told me that the other day as they approached Sana'a, the plane got "lasered" as in the laser from a long-range weapon. Scary.
Things are getting... dicey here. It seems less and less likely that I will complete my contract here. I only have six weeks left, but things are getting out of hand. The Embassies are all closed because of direct Al Queda threats- how reassuring to know that my saftey-net embassy is closed. They also apprehended several suicide bombers outside the British Embassy the other day.... I think I prob need to get out of here. Odd though, no one else(that actually lives here) seems worried. I shall be monitoring the situation very closely.

No comments:

Post a Comment