Sunday, January 3, 2010

Dancing Yemenis

The other day after class, a bunch of students were hanging around in my classroom chatting and listening to music. I didn’t pay them much attention I was fiddling around on my computer, preoccupied with other things. Suddenly as though on a predetermined signal all the girls turned and filed out of the room. “Wait, were are you going” I exclaimed, “you forgot all your stuff!” After the last girl had left the room, the boys all formed a circle and started dancing to traditional Yemeni music. Soon we were all laughing, and clapping and ululating wildly, “come on teacher! Dance!” Uh… no. It was so funny and unexpected. After awhile there was a knock at the door, “uh oh” I thought, “busted.” But it was just the girls, they wanted to come back in and were letting the guys know.

No comments:

Post a Comment