Monday, July 6, 2009

she just wants to break my nose

At boxing the other day the coach, Ra’id gathered all the girls into the ring. I don’t know for certain how familiar you are with boxing, but let me tell you, the ring is definitely on the small side. So he split us in half and both groups stood on opposite sides of the ring (separated by a suspended piece of line) He then took a boxing glove that was duct-taped into a (rock-hard) ball. The object of the game was to throw the glove-ball and try and nail each other with it- from an exceptionally close range- the thought being that with our superior boxing prowess we, theoretically at least, should be able to dodge it while maintaining fundamentally sound boxing form and stance. At this point he turned to me and assured me that I should feel free to throw it as hard as I can and I was all, umm helloooo, I don’t think so mister, they didn’t call my right arm “the Rocket” in college for no reason. And he says, “no really, you can, watch” and then he turned and NAILED a girl in the stomach with the glove. And let me tell, she went down. Another girl picked up the glove and winged it across the line, crushing someone in the face. And then IT WAS ON. I was just running around, giggling manically because you know I’m all about this kind of nonsense, trying not to be a big glove-hog, and employing my superior “prancin’ ponies*” 5 D's skill.
Later I had to “lightly spar” a girl. She wanted to kill me. She clearly just wanted to devastate my nose and facial region. But then afterwards she showed me her engagement photos and we ate a potato together. Still friends.
LEHIGH UNIVERSITY REIGNING DODGEBALL CHAMPIONS, THE PRANCIN' PONIES!!



1 comment:

  1. SOOO GOOODD....O the Rocket!!! Hope all is well! Miss you!
    -IKE

    ReplyDelete