Monday, July 6, 2009

A..B..C..1..2..3..

When we first got here ben suggested that we set aside five minutes a day to bitch and whine about what we miss, what’s irritating us, what we hate about Yemen/our jobs/ you fill in the blank. This way we wouldn’t have angst building up and festering inside of us, rather it would enable us to feel cool and collected and appreciate our time in this wild place.
Well.. we didn’t do that. We hardly ever remember and really, we just complain any dang time we feel like it. His other suggestion was to make an alphabetical list of things we miss.

Okay, yeah, I’ll do that. So today,
Appliances. I miss simple, convenient everyday appliances. Blender, Iron, Coffee Pot, Washer and Dryer, Hair Straightener, Claire’s Forman grill, Microwave.
Adirondack chairs. Joke! No poppa, I don’t miss your 9 million fire engine red deck chairs because really, really? Are you running a resort or something that I don’t know about?
Beer. Well duh. I really miss summer beers. I feel like I haven’t even acknowledged that it’s summer yet because there aren’t seasons here, and I’m working all the time. I miss stoopin’ it on the porch(or roof) at Lehigh drinking corona’s with lime with my girls, Widmer Heffeweizen with lemon dinning al fresco on the patio with the fam, and Leinenkuegals summer shandie (with or without vodka) at Telluride in the Wisco.
Beirut. The game, not the country.
Bacon. Or really any ham-derivative product especially pork roll.
Car. I miss my baby girl, el Diablo. There are a surprising number of Nissan Pathfinders around here. Every time I see one I start salivating. Diablo and I would have a HELL OF A TIME here, that’s for sure.
Coffee. Preferably of the non-instant variety.
Cheese! Damn you Dutch! Quit printing those comic strips making fun of Islam so we can drop the import embargo again your country and my palate can weep tears of joy at the glorious taste of cheese once more…

1 comment:

  1. 4.5 Million are now Plum purple. They look GOOD!.........no, really, they do..........!

    ReplyDelete