Monday, May 4, 2009

Well, I guess it's not all bad..

The one shining speck of silver lining is this- previous to visiting Sana’a, I was jealous. I wanted to be transferred somewhere, not because I was tired of Aden, but simply to try something new and exciting. Aden is the second largest city in Yemen but still has a small-town feel. After only one month, I couldn’t go anywhere without running into someone I knew. Foreigners are so rare that our friendships are highly coveted and people are almost aggressively hospitable- flattering, but at times exhausting as I’m trying to keep up and not offend anyone. Now that I’ve been away- to a horrifyingly chaotic and terrible place- I am so relieved to be back in Aden. Sure the temp is 120 degrees and only going to get worse, but the people are magnificent. Here I have a safety-net of caring and competent people. I have already made ties to my community and forged a life for myself here. Now I can appreciate Aden for what it is and thoroughly enjoy my time here without wondering what if.

No comments:

Post a Comment