Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Arabic double-entendre

My second class of the day has decided that they love and adore me. This has manifested itself in that they arrive at class waay early, and they refuse to take breaks. Classes are two hours long with a ten minute break in the middle. I need that ten minute break, I live and die by that ten minute break. But they simply refuse to take it. All they want to do is teach me Arabic, if only just a couple of words a day. They all hover around my desk scribbling away on the whiteboard. How awesome, Arabic lessons! But most of the time it isn’t good Arabic, it’s horrible Adenee slang that might well get my ass kicked one day. Usually the guys teach me something- I practice saying it, repeating it, writing it and I try to use it in a sentence. Emboldened by my quick mastery of the word I will shout it out loud. Then maybe I’ll shout it at one of them. Then I will triumphantly gaze around the room only to catch the eyes of some of the girls furtively shaking their heads, mouthing “don’t use that word, seriously Teacher (Read: you little white girl) don’t you say that word!” because yes, it does mean what they said it means, but... it has a second meaning too, one that would make a sailor blush.

1 comment:

  1. takes a lot to make this sailor blush! i vote i go win the lottery and we travel the world! in a boat. or something. maybe a plane? or air balloon!!!!

    ReplyDelete