Tuesday, May 19, 2009

sorry for crushing you onto the ground

Today when I went to boxing I found everyone outside the stadium. We were prevented from going inside due to power outages throughout the city. We decided to play soccer instead just to get some fitness and have a bit of fun. It was five on five aka only a marginal amount of mayhem. Ra’eed blew the whistle to start and we were off. I haven’t played a sport let alone soccer in ages upon ages and I guess sheer exuberance took over- I immediately raced up, intercepted a pass dribbled the ball between two defenders (knocking one to the ground and crushing the other’s foot in the process(Both inadvertent!)), effortlessly beat out the other girls in a footrace, and then crushed the ball past the goalie’s surprised fingertips. All in like thirty seconds. I casually acknowledged the goal, and turned so as to trot back to the other end of the field and resume my position in the back- and that’s when I beheld the carnage and devastation spread before me. Everyone was staring at me, including idle passerby. Girls were sprawled about the field in various positions of shock and disbelief- including my own teammates- one girl still gingerly getting back to her feet. I looked them over in confusion and slowly it dawned on me- girls don’t play sports like that here, in fact, it’s amazing that girls are even playing a sport at all right now. They were entirely flummoxed by my physicality and competitiveness. When they saw that I realized how odd my behavior must have seemed we all just busted up laughing. We spent most of the remaining time playing a lazy, laid-back game with frequent pauses so we could all mimic the way I plowed over that girl several times.

1 comment:

  1. You know, I haven't seen you since like 4th grade and yet I can still manage to picture you doing something like this. You were never one to take it easy on any body in anything. Always full throtle all the time.

    ReplyDelete