Wednesday, April 22, 2009

bah...sorry!

I also played little jokes on two of my students today- I, a Hanley girl, have a rather healthy regard for my own abilities. In fact I find myself thoroughly enjoyable. I mean I think I’m pretty dang great, I think I would definitely be my own friend. In addition to being delightful in all manner of company, I feel that I am smart, talented and QUITE HILARIOUS. I don’t know that my little jokes always delight other people though…
One of my students had to make up an exam that she had been absent for. In order to avoid all distractions I decided to take her up to the library and have the staff proctor the test. Gamely, she gathered all her stuff and followed me to the stairwell. Just to see her reaction I blew past the library and proceeded to take her all the way up on to the roof of the building. I went over to a dark, dusty corner, plopped down her exam on the roof and said “There you go! I’ll be back in 45 minutes. Good luck, no cheating!!” and turned to walk away.
I gotta give her so much credit here, she with only slight hesitation and a muttered, “yes teacher….” started to sit down on the dirty rooftop! It was completely hysterical. Hah! Good one! And so dang professional! I then took her down to the clean, blessedly air-conditioned library and we all had a good laugh over it.

Today as I was lazing about the office, shirking my duties (no I wasn’t!), one of my favorite students came up to me and asked to see his grade- Upstairs I had his final exam, session-long grades, and proficiency certification that allows him to move to higher level courses. We got about three quarters of the way up to my classroom chit-chatting idly when I whirled on him, “Hey Waleed, I don’t even know why we are going all the way up here. I don’t have a certificate or anything for you, unless of course you want to see just how badly you failed this course.” All the color drained from his face and he stopped dead in his tracks. “OH I’M SO SORRY! WALEED! OH I WAS JOKING! THAT WASN’T FUNNY AT ALL! OH I’M SO SORRY!! YOU DID GREAT, YOU DID SO WELL!!! SORRRYYY! WAHHHHHHHH!” I felt so bad I gave him a piece of cake. After sufficient recovery time, we all had a good laugh over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment