Saturday, November 14, 2009

wait... we can both speak English

A couple days ago I was at a store buying some more phone units for my mobile. I was loitering around outside trying to enter the super-de-duper secret pin code, as was another older man of solid European stock. We both glanced up, gave each other a nod and a friendly, “salaam aleikum” “wa aleikum asalaam, kaif halek?” “Be kheir, Hamduliallah( insert generic Arabic greeting/pleasantries here)” and returned our focus to the pressing need of sending text messages. After a second or two we both looked up at the same time, made eye contact and I stammered… “uh.. I mean.. hello. Hi there, how’s it going?”
And he goes, “yeah… I mean hello. Clearly neither of us are Arab. So… hey, what’s up?” and we giggled shyly, smiled, and went on our merry way.

No comments:

Post a Comment