Thursday, November 5, 2009

I promise not to talk about camels again for awhile... after this

I finally tried camel's milk! It smelled like dirty bovine urine and tasted like.. well I thought it tasted like regular milk, but all the people i subsequently made try it, said that it tasted pretty funky.
One of my students brought me a giant bottle of it and so I carried it around for much of the day offering it to anyone who caught my eye- including some homeless Somali men I know, even they politly declined the genial beverage. In this way I corroborated the fact that all Yemenis share the baseless belief that a surfeit of camel's milk can in fact, thwart the efficacy of anaesthesia. I need to see some data on that one. I also discovered that drinking camel's milk would make me strong like bull. I deduced this because whenever people asked me what was in the bottle and I said, "haleeb al-jamal" their eyes would light up and they would make the this-is-really-good-stuff nose-flick gesture and then immediately move to the you-will-get-so-strong bicep-flex gesture.

As long as I'm throwing out universal stereotypes, here's another one- All Yemenis, yes ALL love Celion Dion. LOVE her.

No comments:

Post a Comment