Saturday, November 7, 2009

Prudy McPrude, the Mayoress of Prudyville

In many aspects Yemen has turned me into an old lady prude. The other day I ran to a corner store real quick for some provisions, in my haste (MUST. HAVE. CHOCOLATE.) I threw my abaya on over some giant basketball shorts. The abaya covers from my neckline all the way to the ground, ensuring that I was fully covered- seriously if I don't feel like sweeping the floor I can just put an abaya on and walk back and forth around the room, the dragging hem line picks up everything! But on the way back to my apartment a sudden gust of wind blew the abaya up, and whipped it around exposing a few inches of ankle. I was mortified. I'm serious. I was deeply embarrassed and felt like a total walking stereotype of inconsiderate foreigner.
The other day I saw a tourist wearing a tank top and I openly scowled at her. I made eye contact with several Yemenis and we all shook our heads in mutual disgust. I mean of all the indecency!

In other ways it has turned me into a coarse vulgarian- I have made TWO scatological references in the last 3 months AND I actually laughed, LAUGHED when that bat defecated on my head. I hope no further deterioration of my highly refined, superior upbringing ensues.

1 comment: