Saturday, November 7, 2009

sad and scary?

Usually once a session teachers will show a movie in class (dependent upon proficiency level) as a language fluency exercise, usually a light, funny, often animated movie. During the movie, students answer a series of questions and follow up with a writing assignment/ movie review. It’s a nice diversion from normal class. Anything is better than the inevitability of grammar! Amira is currently teaching several of my former, beloved students. Amira is known as a strict teacher, I am…..not… Daily on break and after class they pour into my classroom, shouting out new things they’ve learned, asking my opinion on various minutiae, complaining about how difficult the last quiz was, causing a general ruckus and so on. I love it. Amira had her movie showing the other day, and as usual, a few of my former students came up to me after class. One of my favorites, Hussein looked downright doleful. I asked how the movie was- expecting animated responses because movie day = fun day. “Oh teacher!” Hussain said, “It was just soo SAD and sooo SCARY.” And then he slumped away. I went to Amira’s room all what the hell kind of sad and scary movie are you showing to Yemeni teenage students!? She goes, "Umm.. Narnia?"

1 comment:

  1. You have to see the humor in a teacher showing a movie to a class which is predominately Muslim which is based on a book with very strong Christian tones.

    ReplyDelete