Tuesday, June 30, 2009

friends! plural!

At a going away party the other night for my friend Johnathan (Canadian, UN educational intern. Of sorts.) there was an explosion of foreigners. It was nice. About a month and a half ago I audaciously decided to go fishing with a bunch of strangers, and now I actually have friends here, from Moldova, Hong Kong, Eritrea, Germany, Spain, Italy, etc. I feel boring and purely ordinary in comparison to these people. I am however, easily the youngest, so I have time.
But I ran into two French diplomats in the kitchen. Clearly if ever, this was the chance to demonstrate my superior linguistic ability! I proceeded to tell them my awesome French joke, and the 3 other phrases I know in French- one of which has a slightly racy/saucy connotation. It was all very impressive on my part.
We went to the disco/Yemeni dance club located next to the 2nd international restaurant in Aden, the Pizza Hut! (tuna pizza is their specialty) And then after that we went out to an abandoned stretch of beach where the Gulf of Aden meets the Red Sea and went swimming. No one but us around, unbelievable phosphorescence, star-lit sky, it was beautiful. It was also incredibly shallow and I could still touch the bottom a few hundred feet off shore. Much later we learned that those were shark infested waters, but hey! Still have all ten fingers and toes!

1 comment:

  1. Was the joke the breakfast/egg joke? I've tried that a couple times, and no one has liked it. Doesn't really make sense...

    ReplyDelete