Tuesday, June 30, 2009

All is well here

I am safe, happy, having a good experience I have only felt unsafe one singular time and it was entirely Matt’s fault, not Yemen or Al Qaeda’s. Oh and also that time that we became an American Embassy Security threat…
My last night in Sana’a Matt wanted to go up to the mountain side and smoke shisha while appreciating the scenic beauty. He claimed he knew exactly where we were going, and I acquiesced to his superior familiarity with the Sana’anee countryside.
But as we continued mile after mile up a dark, windy, unlit, unpopulated, barely perceptible track of dirt road, it became clear that if ever I was to be kidnapped it would happen in exactly a situation such as this. Later we made contingency plans for our actions if ever we get in actual trouble- it’s a pretty smooth plan involving effusive praise of Yemen, hugs, and incessant jabbering away in Spanish. It’ll totally work. Luckily I already know what to do if I get ALL of my shit stolen again.
But other than that I feel quite safe and contented.

And this week I got my residency and work permits AND my passport! I'm legal again!

No comments:

Post a Comment