Tuesday, June 30, 2009

This is why my students love me

Yesterday I had to collect a final writing assignment from the class. It was something we had been working on for awhile, with lots of in-class group revision and peer-correction. They were pretty pumped about the quality of their writing (mostly I think they were pretty pumped to finally be done with it) So I asked them to hand in there writing, I was standing in the middle of the room collecting papers. I made a big deal out of it, waving my arms, telling them to hurry up, hand them in already. Then haphazardly, clearly distractedly, I stacked the papers in a disorderly pile and put a paperclip around them. While I was doing this all eyes were on me. After I got all the papers somewhat sorted (and knowing that everyone was watching me), I turned from my desk, strode across the room and nonchalantly flung all their papers into the wastebasket. Then, just as casually I went to my desk, whisked up my book, pretending everything was normal and said, “Now! Let’s talk present continuous…!” They were simply astounded. Good joke. This is the kinda stuff that keeps me young. And might get me fired.

No comments:

Post a Comment