Monday, August 31, 2009

job

Over one weekend Amideast put windows in all the classroom doors- ostensibly so that you wouldn’t inadvertently walk into the wrong classroom, but really so the boss can check up on us, make sure we are behaving ourselves, meeting Amideast’s exacting standards of professionalism- not sitting on top of the desk (oops), not teaching them Spanish (oops), not doodling pictures on the whiteboard (oops), not throwing your pen at a student to get his attention (oops), not locking a student out when he went to use the restroom (oops), not telling personal anecdotes instead of teaching phrasal verbs(oops)… and so on.
I find these windows extraordinarily distracting- the window is right up front by my whiteboard, and I’m constantly distracted by previous students dancing, and making faces at me, and just clowning while I’m trying to be a consummate professional. It does have the unanticipated bonus of making me appear extremely popular though.

No comments:

Post a Comment