Saturday, August 15, 2009

In other news

can we just stop for a moment and acknowledge that the Eagles picked up Michael Vick? He's been out of the game for three years and I guess didn't even make the trip to Lehigh to participate in training camp- which is probably a good thing because I know a bunch of people at the Lehigh athletics department wanted to brutally assault him after the news of his dog-fighting ring came out. I just don't quite know how I feel about him joining my team. Also the second game of pre-season is against my other fav NFL team, the colts! Eagles versus Colts?! I've been anxiously awaiting this game- my two fellas facing off, McNabb v. P. Manning, for ages and ages. I can't believe that a) I'm missing it because I'm in Yemen and b) I'm going to miss the ENTIRE season because... I'm in Yemen.
Life without football = hardly any life at all
-no NFL sundays with wingies, beers and kipper and kitten
-no monday night football watching my boys play
-no playoffs, no superbowl, no superbowl PARTY...
I've been preparing myself for this day, but it still hit hard. Fall and football season is by faaaar my favorite time of year. I'm despairing over the fact that I won't get to feel the air change and rejoice in the crispness of fall coming, see the leaves change color, see the cloud of my breath as the coolness comes, start to wear jackets and scarves again, smell the rain, cuddle up with roommates, kittens, or a good book, have a cup of hot apple cider and bake cookies.. I guess maybe I'm just despairing over the fact that this is my first fall without being at school or living with friends. This has been a year of extreme change and although it's been wonderful I still grow pretty nostalgic on the regular and miss my girls, miss the crazy, absurd, WONDERFUL life we all had together.
One of my all time favorite memories-
we had a superbowl party at my house(club 425, ahh! good times!) My roommates and I made an epic Mexican Fiesta/taco night feast. We had also made our all time fav funfetti cake, and had buckets of cold beers and mixed adult delicousness. Most of the softball and basketball team was crowded into our living room, gorging on food, downing frosty cold ones, and watching football. We were all just enjoying each others company when one of the girls looked around and said
" look at this? A room FULL of girls, drinking beer and watching football, and no guy made us do this, ya know, we're pretty lucky." I miss that.

2 comments:

  1. This post just made me really happy and sad all at once. I, here in the US and not in Yemen, am so incredibly excited that football season has started. Although I already know I will miss our days of laying around and watching football and only leaving the house to get queso and wings and beer and maybe some cheesesteaks. Maybe I can skype you one of these days and we can have like a pseudo Sunday afternoon together. That'd be nice.

    Also I totally forgot about that SuperBowl party. Man! We are so great! Gosh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and of course the year after we had the superbowl party where we met Captain LeDouche...

    ReplyDelete