Thursday, October 1, 2009

It's because Yemen isn't a real place in the world

so I was organizing my wardrobe earlier and trying to get rid of a bunch of stuff that I don't need and certainly cannot ever wear in Yemen. As I was going through my stuff I made a small pile of things that I wanted to send home- much too beloved or nice to leave in Yemen, but inappropriate for the culture or weather here.
I went to FedEx with the idea of sending these few items home- along with some nice Yemeni treats for my family-coffee, pistachios, dates, and the like. Plus I wanted to give Kallyn a bedazzled Yemeni shirt to cherish for ever and ever.
I selected the smallest box- holds 8 kilos or less, and indicated that I couldn't care less when it gets to America. It can take 4 months for all I care- I just want it to not be in Yemen any longer, and promise to arrive in Bremerton some day.
That successfully communicated, I inquired as to the price...
$611. 85!!!!!
I was all... "umm.. excuse me.. what did you say? That was in American dollars..?"
I even checked it online at FedEx.com. FedEx International shipping cost from Yemen to the Hanley Hacienda- SIX HUNDRED dollars and eighty-five cents. whoa nelly.
Needless to say, I did not send it. For that price I can FLY home and hand deliver the contents... and about 7 weeks earlier too.

2 comments:

  1. HOLY MOLY. Good choice, btw. I haven't been reading for awhile (shame on me) and I am disappointed with myself. Glad you are still witty. Just had to check in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. D-word. I would really like a bedazzeled Yemeni shirt.

    ReplyDelete