Monday, March 9, 2009

Heaven on my palate

Today Ben, Matt and I went for an adventure and then found a local Salta restaurant. Salta, a spicy meat stew-like item of meat, onions, chilies, yogurt and spices, is the national dish of Yemen and quite singular and delicious. They cook it on huge iron pots and serve it boiling-lava hot with bread. Every meal we have had to sit in a private “family” section because I am a lady.
I feel like I’ve only really talked about food and transportation thus far, but really, those two acts have comprised 75% of my time thus far.
Previous to arriving in Yemen I had entertained thoughts of losing weight while I am over here and returning as a tan, thin lady. BUT THE FOOD IS SOO GOOD. The portions are just huge. HUGE. We haven’t even come close to finishing a meal yet. Platters of rice, vegetables, lamb, chicken, mutton, fish. And hummus, tabuleh, yogurt, chili sauce… endless food. Yemen is a little slice of heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment