Monday, March 16, 2009

Girl scouts honor this happened

I caught the bus yesterday to go to the Lebanese International University to find out about Arabic lessons. I was meeting my friend Muhammad and his two friends (ironically, or perhaps not so ironic in Yemen, both also named Muhammad). I became so engrossed in my thoughts that I blew past my stop and had to hoof it back several blocks. As I was walking along the road (a very busy road with limited sidewalk options) I saw a rooster up ahead- I had seen this rooster previously several times; he was remarkably handsome, pure white with red accents. He looked stalwart, healthy, and proud. Every time I saw him (always whizzing by on a bus) he was in the same spot- clearly his turf- and this was to be the first time I passed him on foot.
As I approached he was pecking and clucking along, guarding his brood of hens and then he saw me! Instantly you could tell he meant business (He was clearly in a fowl mood, Hah! See what I did there?!?) Across the expanse of pavement we made and maintained a fierce, burning eye-contact, his eyes malevolently challenging me- “I will eat you alive, bitch” and I thinking “what’s more dignified? Risking life and limb to dash across 8 screaming lanes of traffic to avoid a small bird or being mauled by a malicious rooster?” but then I remembered I’m a Hanley girl! Hanley girls are NOT deterred by mere poultry. Resolutely I marched forward. Warily I gave him a wide birth, he followed me with his steely gaze the whole time and then I was past him! Great success! But wait! Now he was following me, slowly at first, maintaining pace with my even stride. But then he started walking faster, and faster, and then he was RUNNING BEHIND ME! At this point, dignity be damned, I too am running. Just running away down the streets of Yemen being chased by a riled-up rooster. By now we are in a full blown chase and have progressed well beyond his territory, what does he want from me?! He’s gaining…gaining…and then PECKING! PECKING AT MY TOES! Now we have both stopped running and I am leaping, and kicking, and jumping, and skipping away from his beak. And then just like that, he was done. Game over. I whirled toward the street, astounded, flabbergasted, “DID ANYONE SEE THAT?” I shouted, “HELLO YEMENIS, DID ANYONE JUST SEE THAT ROOSTER ATTACK ME? WHAT WAS THAT?!?” but I got nothing. No reaction, no one cared. Just another silly American. And all that was left for me to do was pull myself together and move on. Of all the indignities.

7 comments:

  1. Taryn, I want you to picture me in lower cracking up all to myself. Thank you very much for that amazing story.
    P.S., i need an address. I have somethin I need to send you. I think you will appreciate it.
    ~~Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love it. i was attacked by a turducky (as kate and i so fondly called it) which upon further inspection was a turkey vulture, in florida over break. it was in the morning before we had games and i ventured out beyond the screened-in patio to seek the sun and layed out on the grass. i was laying there on my stomach for about five minutes when i heard footsteps coming toward me. i had texted one of the other girls to come join me so i figured it was her. i picked my head up to look and there was the turducky, a hideous creature as large as kate curled up in a ball with a disgusting turkey head, literally a foot in front of my face, just staring at me. i didnt know what to do so i stood up to show my dominance, but the thing didnt move. i took a step toward it to give it a fright, and it just stepped right back at me. i didnt know if it was one of the birds that ate human flesh so i started backing up. the disgusting beast proceeded to just circle around me. i didnt want to throw anything at it, in fear of it stealing my things, so i just picked up my towel and started shaking it in its face. it gave me a look that said "seriously? ....seriously..." and kind of walked off a little. thinking i was triumphant, i relaxed, only to have it look right back at me, give me an "eff this, its not worth my time" look, poop, and then walk away.
    -kubi

    ReplyDelete
  3. You tell great stories. And I appreciate the title, because honestly, I needed that pledge to believe this one. ;)

    P.S. How much would you love to eat some Girl Scout Cookies?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just want you to know that it's Saturday night...and cindy and I are drinking wine, and reading your blog for entertainment... trying to contain the urge to pee our pants. You are good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just want you to know that as a result of reading this blog like a week ago I have now...purely in my own brain...used the words "wide birth" literally on 3 separate occasions this week alone...How odd

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everyone told me to read the rooster story. So good. Thanks for making the wendt inn suck less. Btw ate breakfast at camp shonnie doggie. You have been a popular topic today. Even showed bender your pic of the trash cleanup. Love ya! Ike

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have read this post probably about 5 separate times now...in school...and I creepily crack up every time. Oh taryn...

    ReplyDelete