Wednesday, March 25, 2009

All encompassing Arab hospitality

So early last week my friends the Mohammed’s and I went to an Islamic center (different than a mosque, where I am not allowed to go), I meant to go for just a few minutes to check it out but ended up staying almost two hours (and I have subsequently been back several times). Initially upon my arrival I felt a bit uneasy. Although met with exceedingly polite and courteous behavior, I felt that perhaps I shouldn’t have come. Had I brazenly (albeit inadvertently) walked into a private, Muslim-only area where the three-strikes- white, American, and female would prove insurmountable odds?
I will admit that I just don’t look the part of truly-interested-for-scholarly-reasons + I-swear-I’m-not-wasting-your-time. I look YOUNG. I guess I never realized just how young I look until I started teaching adults. I’m constantly getting, “Wow! You’re allowed to teach us even though you’re still a teenager?” or “Oh is your mother a teacher here?” NO! I'M 23 DAMNIT! The consensus seems to be that I look like I’m 17… Not so great when I am trying to personify an authoritative, hell-yes-I-know-what-I’m-talking-about demeanor. But this will be GREAT when I’m an old lady and still look spry!
We soon found ourselves sitting next to the main guy’s desk at the Center- I, of course, feeling exceedingly foolish and uncomfortable. A few pleasantries were passed back and forth in English, with much regret given that women were not allowed to study there. The man then proceeded to ask something in Arabic to a man standing beside me- miraculously I happened to understand several of the words he said and was able to decipher the general meaning- somewhat boldly I went ahead and answered his question. Immediately his eyes light up, I wasn’t some silly girl on a whim after all! To make a long story short we ended up talking for almost two hours about my purpose for being in Yemen, my desires to know more of the Arabic language and the religion of Islam, how Islam is viewed in America and vice versa, how misunderstanding breeds contempt and the biased portrayals seen in the media… it was wonderful. I ended up getting a tour of the center and then book after book was pressed upon me, a veritable wealth of information. Much regret was expressed over the fact that I couldn’t study Arabic at the center but they went out of their way to find me a place where I could.
All of this only further solidified my views of Muslim culture in general and the Yemeni people in particular. Islam is a wonderful, pluralistic religion practiced by kind, generous people. Everywhere I go I am met with unbelievable displays of kindness, hospitality and friendship. Moving here was definitely the best decision I have made in a long, long time.
Anyone want to come visit?!

1 comment:

  1. I want to come visit. Papa, are you reading this? Family visit?

    Also, I think I look 17 as well. Didn't someone guess that you were the older sister? Must be a Hanley trait.

    ReplyDelete