Friday, February 27, 2009

Growing Up Hanley

Mom: "Taryn have you considered what you’re going to do if someone tries to steal you’re camera? That could be a year’s salary for someone"

Me: "umm… well I’ll keep it in my house if I’m not going to be using it. They have locks in Yemen..."

Mom: "No no I mean what If they try and steal it while you’re using it!"

Me: "I don’t know, maybe I’ll try and punch them in the eye, you know like you’re supposed to do if a shark is attacking you, you gotta aim right for the eye"

Mom: "You can’t fight back! You could be killed! But what happens if it’s hanging around you’re neck and a motorbike whizzes by and they grab it! You could be strangled! Or dragged Along!"

Taryn: "Oh wow! Ya know that never occurred to me. I bet I could just flick it off my neck real quick. Like as the pressure was increasing I could just whip my head down really fast and it will fly off from around my neck maybe"

Mom: "Sounds unlikely…I don’t know if that would actually work…"

Taryn: "I mean.. well lets practice. Okay you be the thief, pull my camera away with increasing pressure and I will whip my neck down and free myself!"

Mom: "Okay!"(Pulling camera strap taught)

It took me years to realize that my family is odd. Well actually about five minutes into college. We all think we’re great. And by the way, it totally worked. I will not be dragged through the streets and then strangled from my camera strap by a thief riding a motorbike. Phew! Once less thing to worry about.

No comments:

Post a Comment