Friday, February 27, 2009

Okay life, here we go!

As I’ve been gadding about Bremerton the last couple of weeks my life has been a frenzy of preparation and packing because, wouldn’t you know it, moving to a foreign country that you know remarkably little about for A YEAR is a rather difficult endeavor.



I've been practicing wearig a Hijab around, and if I may say so myself, looking quite dapper(is “dapper” only really used to describe men?) The blue and green striped scarf really made my eyes pop, which, no doubt, is what Muslims are going for. I almost wore it out running errands but I thought- wear a hijab in Yemen, they will appreciate your earnest attempt to assimilate with their culture and your respect for their conservative way of life. Wear a hijab in Bremerton, everyone will think you’re a big asshole. Soo…no.
I have also procured a number of loose, natural fabric, clothing items. Yemeni culture is highly conservative and obviously I want to dress appropriately/not make an ass of myself. I tried on a large, billowy linen shirt with my hijab the other day. Let me tell you I cut a fine figure! Big, oversized clothing does little to inspire my self confidence and I feel dowdy and prudish but, I promised my father I wouldn’t come home with a husband so I guess all is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment