Saturday, September 5, 2009

The other day..

Exactly six months ago, armed with only a giant suitcase full of poor decisions and the spirit of adventure, I embarked forth to Yemen. SIX MONTHS AGO! Yowza, that’s a long dang time. Half the time I feel like life is just draaaaaging on by taking it’s sweet damn time- other days I feel like it’s gone by in the blink of an eye. But six months. In Yemen. That’s pretty legit. I had the startling realization earlier that I can no longer casually reference something that happened “the other day” and still be talking about America. For Hanley girls, “the other day” can be something that occurred up to, but not more than, six months ago. This is slightly confusing for new acquaintances, but people catch on rather quickly. So for one last time- The other day while papa was mashing “essentials” into my overstuffed suitcases, Mom and I watched some episodes of It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia, patted some kittens on the head, and enjoyed a delicious brew. The other day I also had a large, green salad- who would have known that just days later, lettuce would become a rare commodity- smelled the fresh, heavenly scent of rain, purposefully wore long-sleeves, drove a car, threw a football, had a hot shower, did my laundry in an actual machine, and had a latte.
As of tomorrow, the other day I- discovered that your ears can sweat, stepped on a severed chicken foot, ate an entire meal of meat, rice, and beans with only my hands, learned the hard way not to shake men’s hands, and found out that toilet paper is a precious commodity. Yemen. Yeah man.

2 comments:

  1. Actually, I use "the other day" in reference to up to a year from now. 6 months just isn't long enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like longer than 6 months that you've been gone to us.

    ReplyDelete